Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Monday, October 14, 2013

Review: Dark Triumph by Robin LeFevers



Grade4.5 Butterflies
Series: His Fair Assassin #2
Author: Robin LeFevers
Publisher: Houghton Miffin Books for Children            
Pages: Hardcover, Pages 385

Goodreads Summary

Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?








This review is a long time coming. I read this a months ago and just could never write the review for it. I don't know why since I loved it, but I finally sat down and told myself I had to write this review, whether are not it kept me up all night writing it, I would write this review.

This book was one of my most anticipate books of 2013. I read Grave Mercy at the end of 2012 and I fell in love with the characters and the writing and the world. So, naturally I was super excited for this book. And when I read it I fell even more in love with the world and characters this author has created. This writer flawlessly weaves a dark captivating tale that will leave you breathless and on the edge of your set the whole time.

This book is a much more dark and personal story than Grave Mercy. In Grave Mercy it is more about the politic story and this plot still has that in it, but this one is a much more raw, dark, personal book about the horrors that Sybella went through and is still going through. And how it warped her and her straggling not to let it define her and make her a bad person.  Sybella straggles with the fear that she will end up as evil as her family is. This plot was amazing!! It was just such an emotional ride and you just root for Sybella the whole way through. Also a word of warning, when it's reveled what made Sybella snap and go crazy and somehow end up in the covenant you won't believe it. It is such an awful thing!! I just stared at the page for like 5 minutes before it sunk in. It's no wonder she went crazy.

The characters in this book where amazing!! I didn't know whether or not I would like Sybella, because she wasn't really there in the first book, but I ended up loving her character!! Like in the last one LeFevers does a phenomenal job at character development. Sybella felt like a real person, not just a character and it wasn't just Sybella. It's like every single character has amazing depth, even the side characters.

While the plot mostly resolves around Sybella's life and her fears and strengths, the political aspect of the plot is still here. It is actually a big part of the plot in the middle of the book. Which is really great because it made the plot even better, because that lead to some intense battle scenes, which where amazing!!!

The one and only thing that was remotely close to being bad in this book was the romance. The romance was insta-love. They fell for each other in like three days. And at first I hated it because they are perfect for each other!! I just love them together and hated how unrealistic it was!! However, after a while Robin LeFevers come through, because even though it's insta-love it's not read like insta-love. I can't tell you why, because I don't want to spoil it, but there is a lot of tension between them that makes you forget about the insta-love.

Overall this book will make you fall in love all over again with the outstanding characters and plot that Robin LeFevers wrote flawlessly! It was amazing!! And Robin LeFevers did the impossible, she made me like insta-love. Why I liked it so much is because those two characters are just completely perfect for each other. If you haven't started this series yet, do so now because it will take your breath away!

Also I would advise only 14 year olds and up to read this, because it does have very dark and sometimes disturbing content in it.

This book got..

4.5 Butterflies
Beautiful, this is a great book. 

Recommended if you like: Assassin books and Historical Fiction.


Happy reading








No comments:

Post a Comment