Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Updated Mini Review: Amulet vol. 1: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi

I reviewed this one a while back and when I re-read this Graphic Novel I decided to do an updated review. The first review was pretty vague and I wanted to add more details.


Grade: Good
Series: Amulet #1
Author: Kazu Kibuishi
Publisher: Graphix



Graphic novel star Kazu Kibuishi creates a world of terrible, man-eating demons, a mechanical rabbit, a giant robot---and two ordinary children on a life-or-death mission.

After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creature lures the kids' mom through a door in the basement. Em and Navin, desperate not to lose her, follow her into an underground world inhabited by demons, robots, and talking animals.
Eventually, they enlist the help of a small mechanical rabbit named Miskit. Together with Miskit, they face the most terrifying monster of all, and Em finally has the chance to save someone she loves.



This was a fast paced, captivating read! It starts out with a scene that will instantly grab your attention while simultaneously making you cry your eyes out. This graphic novel was great!! I thought it was an amazing set up for the series! I loved it and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. With that being said, I did have a few minor issues.

For one, the setting wasn't illustrated and focused on enough for my liking, so we didn't really get a clear sense of the world. Nor did the author gave us as much information as I would have liked, considering it was mostly set in a fantasy world. However, since this is the first in the series I overlooked them. I have the utmost confidence that this author will add on these things as the series goes on.

What I really loved about this graphic novel is the family aspect. The whole plot is basically driven forward by Emily trying to save her mom. Not only that, but when reading this graphic novel the author subtly put in scenes that allowed you to see the love each member of the family has for each other. You can see how much the Mom loves Navin and Emily and you can see that they love her back. I just loved how the main theme was this family aspect and how for you would go for your family. It's a breath of fresh air with what I've been reading.

I also really loved the characters in this book. I loved Emily! Emily has suffered a loss but she doesn't react the way most teenagers, maybe (I don't know her age), are portrayed. She doesn't act bratty or annoying and you can see she loves her family very much. She will do anything for her Mom and Brother  and I loved that about her.

Overall I really enjoyed this graphic novel! I really do. I think it's a great set up to the series. However, be warned that you might not like it as much as I did. It as sci-fi and fantasy aspects and it gets weird really fast. So, if you don't like that type of thing, if you don't like reading a plot that has weird in its discription, than this one might not be for you. However, if you are a fan of parnormal/fantasy, sci-fi then you will love this one.

This book got....





No comments:

Post a Comment